Saturday, August 22

growing more than soybeans Here

South Dakota Hwy 38, wanders through beautiful crop farms, raising corn and soybeans, between Mitchell and Sioux Falls. I opted to leave the interstate and construction zones and came this way looking for migrating shorebirds. Not many of them to see yet.

However, this partially flooded soybean field was hosting a group of great egrets, 18 dinner guests in all. I was astounded, I've never seen this many together in a group even when we were at Ding Darling NWR on Sanibel Island! They were suspicious of a stopped car and a curious onlooker.

This great egret is in the Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary (Naples,Florida) in the Lettuce Lakes, much more comfortable with humans than the birds in a South Dakota soybean field.

3 comments:

R.Powers said...

I'm glad you captioned that bottom photo. I was looking at that water lettuce and thinking, "What the heck! How can that be surviving in Dakota?"

Caroline said...

FC,
Only in people's backyard koi ponds!

Jann said...

I'm anxious to look for migrating birds too, but think I'll wait til I see some Canada geese formations going over...haven't yet...and look at how hot it is now.