Monday, October 12

He Sapa Wacipi

Sunday, daughter Rachel and I spent a snowy afternoon at He Sapa Wacipi, the Black Hills Pow Wow, an annual 3 day celebration of our Native American culture in South Dakota. It is truly an amazing experience, the color, pagentry, drumming and singing is both riveting and uplifting, the fine arts exhibit is beautiful. I wish I had had the big camera with the long lens, there are so many details to take in the little digital just can't reach. The dancers' regalia are works of art, the dignity of the elders and the exuberance of the littlest dancers captivate the imagination. Share the experience over the next few days, from a few snapshots of what we saw in the arena. This is the arena floor with the movement of the first Intertribal dance.

3 comments:

Jann said...

Hubby, my oldest sis, and I went to the Pow-wow last year for the first time, really awesome to see! I didn't realize it was this weekend.

Mary said...

I supported a Vice Principal in a high school who traveled to Pow Wow across the country and hosted one at our high school. I was thrilled to be there. You described it beautifully. No need for one of those long lenses. You did good.

Becka said...

i haven't been to one in ages. i must make a trip and do it again. an inspiring experience.